Monday, April 26, 2010

By June 1925, Gehrig had not yet become a regular on the Yankees lineup. However his luck would change on June 2, 1925. The Yankees first baseman, Wally Pipp, allegedly complained of a headache and so Gehrig was put in his place for the day. Pipp would never get his position back again. For the next fourteen years Gehrig played every single game. “That was the great kick of my career,” he said, “the knowledge that I was the regular first baseman of my home town team. It wasn’t that I’d beaten out Pipp, a really fine chap, who would play regularly on another club, but that I could go to my parents, who at first had looked as baseball with mild disapproval, and tell them that I had regular work at good pay so long as I could hit the ball and hustle.”

No comments:

Post a Comment